Tuesday 8 February 2011

Building a shed base for our new Addition Bike Storage Unit – On a budget (Part2)

Now we have decided on where to put my shed, I can continue with the base.

Stage 3: Digging out. 
Ok I’m happy with where my base will go – next I need to dig the area out with a spade.  
I have dug a square of just over 2.1 m x 1 m at around 450mm deep.  The ground is soft and the roots where no problem.   
Roughly mark out area and dig out.
Stage 4: Putting my frame into place.  
This bit requires a little patience and skill as itt is vital these batons are all level.  Starting at the Left hand side I simply knock this side down until it is level (using a spirit level to check).  Next, I put the Right Hand side in place checking it is level with the LH side using the spirit level again.  Finally the front and back batons are in place and the whole frame is levelled all round.   

TOP TIP: As this unit will be in a corner, I have put a slight slope to from the back of the base to the front.  This will allow any excessive rain to run forwards rather than getting trapped behind the unit against the wall. 

Stage 5:  The foundation.
Using old brickwork saves money
 
 As you can see by the image above I have used old bricks left over from a recent house extension.  This waste becomes my hardcore for pouring concrete over (hardcore is around £40 – £60 per ton). 

Note: I have placed the bigger bricks at the front of the base, this will help me to get the front edge nice and level (ensuring the doors open freely)  I have also used a nice big brick in the middle to help take any weight.   I can use this method on the bike store unit as I know there won’t be too much weight placed in it.  If I had chosen one of the bigger units such as the Gladiator a better/deeper base would be needed.   I also know this bike unit will not be bolted down or a ground anchor used, so I’m not worried about anybody drilling into the base.  The purpose of this cheap DIY base is only to keep the unit level and off the lawn.

Time to spend some money:  My 1st cost is a £1.00 bag of shingle from the garden centre.  I scatter this between the larger bricks – I find it just helps to bind everything together when I pour the cement in later. 

Stage 6:  Time for some real work! Mixing the concrete.
 Now I need to mix my concrete and ballast to form the flat base.  Because we have used nice big bricks in the base preparation we need less than half of what we would have needed doing this the “correct” way.  
A mini mixer will make life easier.
I have cheated and used a mini mixer (to save my back!).  Such a small amount of concrete would be easy to mix by hand – but using a mixer really does reduce the amount of effort. 
To mix the base I used:
6 bags of Ballast £1.20 each
1 bag of cement. – £3.65.   

Stage 7:  Cement/Ballast.
When mixed simply pour over the base, between the batons.  I have made my mixture a little on the sloppy side – this helps it flow into the gaps around the large bricks and bind with the shingle.  I push the mixture into the gaps with my trowel. 

Stage 8:  Get it level.     

This bit is nice and easy. 
Assuming your edge batons were nice and level simple tap and drag another piece of the pallet along the side batons until the base is level with the top of the batons.  Easy!  
 
Stage 9: Almost Finished. 

Allow the base to dry for around 24 hours. Note:  I know this unit will not be bolted to the ground, so I took no notice of the position of the large bricks.  If you are bolting down – I would suggest you put the large bricks in the corners of the base or make the base to the recommended min depth as per the main Asgard website.  Giving you plenty of hard material  to drill into. 

Stage 10: Tidy Up.

I knock away the batons to reveal a nice clean edge to the concrete.  You can now make it look a bit nicer.  We have chosen to fill up to the base with soil then scatter decorative bark around the base to prevent weeds growing (and reduce on going maintenance work), and reseed the area immediatly around the unit to repair the lawn.  

Equipment used: Mini mixer (optional – but recommended) – Spirit level -  Spade – Small trowel – Tape measure  Materials used:  1 wooden pallet – Ballast (6 bags) – Cement  (1 bag) – Pea shingle  (1 bag) – Water (for cement)   
Total construction time 1 hour – dry time 24hrs
Total cost: £12.85 – Optional mini mixer £20 weekend hire
Once I build the unit I will post a picture of the finished base with the bike shed in situ.  This will be in Part 3

Asgard Secure Steel Storage take no responsibility for the content of this blog.  This information is intended as  a guide only.  It is the responsibility of the reader to check all the facts before undertaking any works.   If in doubt you must contact a registered and qualified builder for information.

For information about our full range of bike storage sheds and cycle storage units see our main website www.asgardsss.co.uk and click on bike storage.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...